Craigslist is a popular website for searching listings for apartments, condos, and homes for rent; but please, do your due diligence when pursuing this avenue to meet your housing needs. Craigslist and web sites like it are easy to search for what you need, but it is equally easy for scammers to advertise properties for rent or sale that are not theirs to advertise. Bryant Real Estate never advertises vacant properties on Craigslist. Our website www.bryantlongtermrentals.com is where you can find all current vacancies.
If you are researching a listing found on Craigslist, keep in mind the following tips:
- Call or visit the property management company, agency, or owner (if listed) to inquire about the property.
- Google search the landlord’s name or company and the home address you are considering renting because it is likely you will find some enlightening information if the advertisement is a scam that someone else has uncovered.
- If the person you contact in the listing does not require a rental application process that includes: criminal background check, credit check, rental history, and employment/income verification, then you are most likely dealing with a scammer.
- Do not allow someone to wire you money, write you a check or money order while you send them cash, or they ask you to send money in exchange. Their check or money transfer could be fraudulent, and you could be held responsible.
- Craigslist does not offer a buyer guarantee where Craigslist has approved a safe transaction with the seller and offering buyer protection. This site does not offer that service and should be reported to Craigslist.
Craigslist also has helpful information regarding scams: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.